I am about to rebuild the engine in my 77 MG Midget with a Triumph 1500cc
engine. That is the reason for posting to both lists.
The engine in question was a low compression smogged engine. It will have
twin 1.5 SUs and headers. This car is used for driving in NJ, 0 to seventy
back to 0 between traffic lights :-) I would like to make it a bit higher
compression and change the cam, but I don't want a really lumpy idle and a
power band that starts high up. This is what I plan to do:
1) Send to machine shop and have the head done if required
2) Have the block hot tanked.
3) Cylinders checked for roundness and size. How far can you bore one of
these engines out or do they need to be lined then bored.
4) Should I have the block line bored?
5) Thrust washers pinned in place. Any pointers on what the looks like?
6) Higher compression UK spec pistons. What is a a reasonable compression
ratio, and I am not worried about using premium gas.
7) I am thinking of a Ted Shumacher has a TS1275 cam.
8) Replace the valve springs
9) Do I need umbrella seals on the intakes valves?
10) New pistons and rings.
11) New oil pump
12) I have heard of having the oil passages bored out. Any thoughts?
Anything that I have missed? Any thoughts? What would you do, or what would
you do differently?
This is my first time doing this so I have a few questions. Thanks for any
help or input.
William M. Gilroy
When those who make the law
Break the law
In order to enforce the law
There is no law