Re: tappet oil drain holes

To: "Bob Walker" <spriteracer98@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: tappet oil drain holes
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:45:23 -0700 reply-type=original
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Thanks Bob,
Thats a good idea as well.  I'll keep that in mind as an additional
post-reassembly thing to try if I still have a problem after drilling the
lifters.  They aren't really all that hard to drill.  I've drilled a few in
the past when I was replacing one or two pitted ones of an old set.  You set
the lifter on its side on a block of wood, set a punch in the desired spot
and tap hard enough to make a pit.  Set the lifter in a wooden V-block and
head for the drill press.  They drill rather easily, then I clean the hole
with a hand twist of a larger bit to de-burr the surface.  Check fit to a
tappet bore and be prepared for a light touch of a fine points file if there
is any binding from deformation at the drill hole.

What and where are these "two drain holes" you refer to?  The pushrod holes
in the block start small, and have a tappet size counter bore.  I've never
noticed any other path for rocker oil than to drain into the pushrod holes
in the head and thence into/around the tappets.  Are there other paths I've
never seen?

Thanks,
Glen

>I do not think that you will be able to drill the lifters
> now. Surface hardining and being at a angle the drill will
> just skate off. Anyway, the lifter in action throws the oil
> out! It just flies around till it finds the two drain holes.
> My thought for a cure would be to restric the amount of oil
> getting to the top side. On the rocker that supplies the oil,
> drill and tap for a small set screw. Drill a thru hole thru
> the set screw about 1/2 the standard size. Excessive oil
> should be a thing of the past!
> --- Glen Byrns <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

Check out the new British Cars Forum: