RE: Separating ball joint from steering arm

To: "Gerard" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: Separating ball joint from steering arm
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:37:53 -0000
Three (and a bit) ways I know of....  One of which I would NOT recommend.

1.  Loosen nut and wind to the bottom of the thread then use a proper joint
splitter tool.
2.  Loosen nut and wind to the bottom of the thread then, using 2 bfh's,
smack opposing sides of the arm around the joint at the same time and it
should pop loose.
2a. Combination of 1 and 2 to ensure the threaded section doesn't bend with
use of the joint splitter tool.
3.  Loosen nut and wind to the bottom of the thread and with the road wheel
back on take it for a drive round until it loosens.

You choose the option.  Pros and cons for each one.

There are two kinds of joint splitter tool, one is a two pronged wedge
hammered in (never used this type) the other is a hinged thing that winds
jaws together and pushes up on the threaded bit.
My personal preference was method 2. at first then 2a on the (very) rare
occasions 2. doesn't hack it.

Guy R Day