Re: Regarding trailers...

To: "Spridgets (E-mail)" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Regarding trailers...
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:32:07 -0500
I purchased a Pace American tag along in 1989. It was their Low Rider
series, 7' wide x 7' high x 18' with a rear ramp door, side door, rubber
torsion dual axles, 13" radial trailer tires, and 5000 Lb.GTW. I have
used it every year since for SCCA racing, and it is still leak free and
solid. I have had to chase the surface rust creeping along the
galvanized roof, periodically tighten the siding screws, and am about
half finished with replacing them with stainless steel screws to stop
rust staining. I purchased the 18' Low Rider with the hope that I could
tow with a smaller V6 tow vehicle. I could, I wouldn't recommend it, and
would have been better off with a 14' trailer and being more selective
with what I haul to the track. It just rubs me the wrong way to drive a
huge truck every day so that I can tow 10 times a year. I have had to
install a weight distributing hitch in my receiver and crank up on the
spring bars to prevent sway with the smaller truck. No problems with
sway when we tow with a Ford F-350, don't even know it's back there.

The only problems were of my own making. After replacing a tandem fender
for the 3rd time due to massive blow outs on longer trips, we kept
better tabs on variables such as tire pressure, tire age, trailer
weight, and towing speeds, and thought the problem was licked. After
replacing the 4th fender, and much analysis, the problem was that since
we changed tow vehicles and hitches several times, and had not kept the
trailer level. We were removing weight from one axle and overloaded the
other. Each torsion axle is bolted solidly to the trailer frame and
can't equalize the weight as does a bogey suspension. We were never more
than 1.5" high at the ball, which doesn't seem like much over 18', and
it was always the tires on the rear axle that were the problem. Sounds
simple now, but I hope to help someone else from going through the same
learning curve and it's potential hazards.

All in all the trailer was a great investment for me as I use it for
storage in the off season. Right now it is filled with Midget parts!
John