Re: Lucas commentary

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Lucas commentary
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 09:11:29 -0600 reply-type=original with any abuse report
It must be about time for another lesson in reading what is actually written
rather than filtering it through a massive personal bias again. I appreciate
my Lucas wiring system. I like having switches that can generally be
dis-assembnled, cleaned and re-fitted for more years of service. I like the
Lucas colour scheme, even when it is hard to tell exactly which shade of
pink I am looking at on a 30-year-old piece of wire. I also did not say
anything about "primitive". The fact that Lucas preferred to run all of the
headlight amperage through the switch is probably more about the "not
invented here" syndrome than anything else. In case you did not bother to
notice the signature, I am not talking about one of your primitve 50's and
60's Spridgets, this is a genuine "candy-ass" RWA Midget from 1972; my 1972
Chevelle had relays as did my 1973 Nova, my 1974 Nova, and any number of
other products from companies who could swipe a good idea when they saw one
;-)

At any rate, since the expected service life of all of these fine components
was past a long time ago and I wish to do things that could have possibly
stressed them when new, I would prefer to do the enhancements BEFORE
destroying a hundred dollars worth of dip switch that is a royal pain to
replace. This is called "learning from other peoples' mistakes" and tends to
save money if you can swallow your pride long enough to try it. I am not
expecting the fine Lucas products in my car to do a job beyond that for
which they were designed, therefore I asked for help from people that I
thought MIGHT have had the foresight to do this themselves. No need to
re-invent the wheel, Drogbar!

As for the heater control, I trust you do not expect me to believe that
these cars were built to a lower price than the Mini which did have a
cable-controlled heater valve.
David Lieb
1972 RWA Candy-Ass Midget