Re: Pulling Midget Engine - Keep the oil in

To: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Subject: Re: Pulling Midget Engine - Keep the oil in
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:58:18 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Timothy H. Collins wrote:

> What's the collective wisdom concerning the replacement of the
> driveshaft seal? (Is it even replaceable??)

Once every 30 years or so should do it.
I generally replace the seal when ever I attempt to repair/rebuild
a tranny. So now I have a pile of trannys that don't work but they all
have new seals ;)
I have never seen one leak,  I have dented a few pulling trannys that
hit the floor before they come out, so I replace the seal.
You have to cut (dremel or grinder) the 3 bent in tabs on the old seal
to remove it. The new seal goes on and you have to ping in the 3 spots
with a suitable service tool (aka big screwdriver and hammer)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ