Re: What the heck motor is it ? and HELP please

To: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: What the heck motor is it ? and HELP please
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 01:47:30 -0800
   Thanks to everyone for the answers both on and off-list

> > shaft is .498 and the bushing in the crank is .480 so they don't fit,
>
>You have the wrong bushing.  They're all 1/2" as is the input shaft.  Get
>the right bushing, they're common items.

   I read this a few hours ago and as it was late, I went to bed...could
not sleep so I got up and went in the garage.  Paul gave me the information
I was looking for here, I was concerned that maybe I could not fit a ribbed
gearbox to a 1100 motor but once Paul said the bushing was supposed to be
1/2", I kind of went "DUH, why did I not think of pulling the bushing so I
could get the gearbox connected to the motor".  I went out and pulled the
bushing and 2 bushings came out, a proper small one and a big one that was
in the crank and fitted flush with the end of the crank, that one was the
wrong size ID, the inner bushing which happens to be a perfect replacement
for the one I purchased at Moss a few days ago was in first.  That was why,
I thought the gearbox input shaft would not fit, because there was a
bushing at the end of the crank, why I don't know but I now have the 2
together and will make my motor mounts tomorrow.  Then I will have to
re-pull it and get the gearbox fixed, I was really hoping that I would not
have to dismantle the gearbox.

>Sounds like you're more frustrated than anything.  Take a deep breath and
>throw the money up to my place if that doesn't work!!!

  yes I was very frustrated, I took a weeks vacation and have a welder
friend that was going to help me this week to make the mounts and it looked
like I wasted my vacation, now I will get that done.  And I will worry
about all the missing motor parts and getting the gearbox fixed after I
have those made.

   I was asked off-list why I am doing this to a 1934 Singer.  The original
motor was scrap, cracked block, cracked crankshaft and at one time a rod
came through the side of the motor and it was fixed with a steel plate
screwed to the block.  I tried for over a year to find a correct motor and
I was told by the UK Owners club how nicely these A motors fit in, NO MODS
to the Singer are made, you have to make some fancy motor mounts and then
use the existing Singer motor mount holes to fit the motor, no
cutting/welding/drilling is required on the Singer frame so it is easy to
reverse.  The A motor will also give me decent speed compared to the 70mph
wide open top speed of the original motor, even though I would not push it
that fast at modern speeds the original motor would not last long and I
want to drive this car, not have it be a show car.  So the Spridget motor
it is.  I was also asked if the brakes could handle the increased power,
yes I think they will, they are 9" brakes and were quite good for their
day.  The frame already has all brand new suspension, new bushings
everywhere and new front end bearings and freshly rebuilt rear axle, as I
said I am trying to build a driver, no not a daily driver, I am not that
dumb but a driver just the same.  I have brand new front/rear wings to fit
this week also so I am going to be busy.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/