RE: Video+Twin Cam engine

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Video+Twin Cam engine
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 08:12:54 -0800
Cap/n Bob wrote: "...could you do a run or two out to the nearest limited
access North/ South highway? (It could be called Ride Around the Block
"3"!!:):) Do the car covers come off easily?? Do you let any of your dogs
out at night...or are the kept locked up in the kennel? If you leave a
couple out as "guards", what do they like to eat? (Just trying to be
"friendly", here). And most importantly... Is the Lotus a 4 or 5 speed???"

Cap'n Bob,

Hehehe!.. I am deleting the first version of "Around the block", and I an
planning a more visually interesting "Around the mountain" video, hopefully
with better mike placement - the roll bar obviously does not work too well!
I'll make sure I find a mountain area which was not burned out - and this is
becoming more difficult in San Diego County after the last two fire seasons.

As for car covers... The Porsche and the Lotus sit under a porch (see
video)... two other cars in the open... the only car in the garage is the
Bugeye! At night 6 full grown Rhodesian Ridgebacks sleep inside the house,
and the garage door is open... during the day there are always two dogs
inside, the others in the fenced yard... so I don't think burglars will
bother us.

Regarding 4 or 5 speed... I realize this was "tongue in cheek" 8-)... to be
honest, if I get an old Ford/Lotus engine into the Bugeye, I would not mind
mating that to a four-speed 2000E "bullet" gearbox. Sweetest shifting
gearbox ever made by Ford, some say, and easily good enough for engines up
to 170 bhp. The Lotus Twin Cam/Bullet gearbox is the running gear of the
Seven S4 (with Escort/Cortina "narrow English" rear axle/diff).

Keith, can't explain why, but I can't seem to bring myself to consider
putting a Fiat 124 engine into the Bugeye. However, I might just consider a
stock Ford Zetec, as suggested by Nick, and most likely a reasonable cost
option with plenty of power and availability of parts.  I have already spent
more money on the Bugeye that it will ever be worth (but a lot less than the
previous owner!), so not going overboard with the conversion costs is
important to me... and yes, I am aware of the cost of rebuilding a Lotus
Twin Cam - Jay Ivey rebuilt the one in my Seven.

JLC in San Diego
--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.