RE: Question on transmission oil

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Question on transmission oil
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:23:52 -0800
Thanks to both Frank and Robert - you answered my question!

JLC

Frank wrote:
I have no proof, and I never ran synthetic tranny oil in any (stock)
Sprite tranny. But I have heard that "something" in synthetic oil
*reacts* with the bronze/brass bushings and parts in the older trannys.
It acid etches these parts. There was a similar discussion on Brit car
Forum about synthetics and big Healey gearboxes. Apparently, a certain
type is OK for the bronze. Different G? letters or something. I did not
save that info and opted for 20/50 oil in all but my 5 speed which I run
synthetic in.