Re: Garage floor sealant

To: cartman@rcn.com
Subject: Re: Garage floor sealant
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:32:32 -0600
Cc: soavero@yahoo.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
I used this, too, on my garage floor when I expanded the garage.

It seems to be sticking really well on the "old" concrete, but it has
lifted in a couple of places on the new.  When I put a lot of weight on
one point, as in using a floor jack, it will lift.  I think it is
probably because I didn't acid etch the new concrete enough.  The
Rust-o-leum instructions tell you don't have to use muriatic acid to
etch, just their citric acid.  I don't think that works on new concrete.
I did use muriatic acid, but I suspect I didn't let it sit long enough or
used a strong enough mixture.  I just have to be sure to have some wood
or something under my jack.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with it.

One other hint that I got from another forum-- use two coats, it will
cover better.  You have to recoat after 12 and before 24 hours or you
have to scuff it.  Figure on using half again for the second coat.  IOTW,
if you used one gallon for the first coat, a half gallon will do the
second.

There is also U Coat It, which is about twice the work and twice the
price, but they guaranty it.

David Littlefield