Rear suspension bushing replacement.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear suspension bushing replacement.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:34:34 -0800
Started to replace the badly deteriorated rear bushings in FROG AYE today.
I noticed that there were two different bolts holding the rear end of the
radius rods: on the right side was a thicker bolt with a smoooth center area
that was a snug fit in the metal sleeve of the bushing.  On the left side
the bolt was slightly thinner.  The center (unthreaded) portion of the
thicker bolt on the right was long enough that the bolt would rotate even
when the nut was tight.  The other bolt would not.  My assumption is that
the thicker bolt is the original correct one.  Does it really make any
difference?

Now, how about the bushing at the rear end of the spring?  What's the best
way top deal with this one?  Can I get the end of the spring off without
removing the spring from the body?  Or do I really need to drop the rear end
and unbolt the thick end of the spring in order to do this safely?

Is there a way to tell at this stage if my shocks need replacemen?  Should I
just assume that since they are an unknown, and I have the darn thing this
far apart, I should just bite the bullet and get rebuilt ones?

Lastly, what's the best way to clean up the radius rods and spring eye.  The
recent thread on electrolysis has me thinking...

What is "correct" finish for the radius rods?  Black, body color?