Re: buying gasoline

Subject: Re: buying gasoline
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 19:24:46 -0500
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
I spent almost 30 years in the oil industry, so this is something I know something about. I started out working in enhanced oil recovery at Amoco Research, two years after the '73 embargo. You have to realize that oil does not exist in pools under the ground. It is in porous rocks, sort of like the oil stain on the garage floor underneath your Triumph. If you've tried to completely remove one of those stains, you can appreciate that most fields achieve about 40% recovery by conventional methods. Enhanced recovery was aimed at getting a portion of the remaining 60%. These processes are expensive. It was a hot idea that never really happened because of economics. Americans would rather buy cheap foreign oil and OPEC could manipulate the market price to make sure it never happened. There is a lot of oil in the world, but it's going to cost increasingly more to get it out. For example, the Athabasca tar sands in Canada are huge, but very expense to produce. The writing has been on the wall for a long time, but Americans have had their heads stuck in the sand.