Re: MHouston Fund 5/4 update

To: Allen Hefner <ajhsys@gmail.com>, Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MHouston Fund 5/4 update
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 08:07:56 -0500
Just a minor correction, Allen.  Melanie had a boy, Aaron 14 (Who was with
his mother when she died - it must be absolutely dreadful for him), and a
daughter, Taylor who is almost 10 - just at  the age when she needs her
mother most.  Fortunately, they are both very close to their grandparents,
and I think the plan, so far at least, is for them to stay in El Paso for
the summer, when school is out.

Melanie worked for AMEX Travel, and they are setting up a fund for the
children, but I still favour adding our funds to the savings the children
already had for a trip to Disney World, or some similar place.  I believe
that this would give the children an opportunity to be 'children' for a few
hours.  To take them completely away from all of this.  I know that some
listers concur, especially those who have experienced something similar in
their own lives.

I do know that Robert would appreciate cards of love, he wants to make a
book of them all for the family.

Robert is a truly good man, and for this to happen to his family is
devastating, I almost feel as if Melanie was my family, I am so saddened by
this event.  I had never met her, but I have met both of the
children.  They have both stayed at my home, and Aaron would often
accompany his grandfather on hunting trips here in the season.  He will
make a very nice young man, he is quiet, well mannered, thoughtful, and for
him to have been present at this tragic accident must be beyond our ken.

Elizabeth

At 07:36 04/05/05, Allen Hefner wrote:
>I continue to be impressed by this list!  We are now up to $700.00
>donated to the Melissa Walker (Houston) Fund.  Your generosity is a
>testament to the humanity that is visibly (or virtually) evident in
>our hobby.
>
>If there is anyone on the list who doesn't know what happened, let's recap.
>Long time lister Robert Houston of New Mexico lost his youngest
>daughter (38 years old) in a tragic accident about a week ago.  Robert
>has understandably signed off the list for a while so he can take care
>of his family and have some time to grieve.
>
>Many of us consider Robert to be a good friend.  He is knowledgeable
>about cars, friendly, funny, and always ready to help.  He works in
>the transportation industry and travels around the country for work,
>so many of us have met him.  My personal story began when I bought a
>house.  I was installing a new kitchen so I could move in, and several
>local Spridgets listers showed up to help.  One of them was Robert,
>who I wasn't expecting, since I live several thousand miles from New
>Mexico!  He had a case of beer under his arm, and he stayed all day.
>
>Someone on the list suggested we do something nice for our friend in
>his time of sorrow.  We talked about flowers, sending cards, etc., but
>then we thought about a collection to benefit his daughter's family of
>two young boys.  Elizabeth, please fill us in on the family structure
>if I screwed this up.
>
>I offered to take donations on my PayPal account and forward them to
>Robert after June 1st.  Ed Kaler of Just Brits has a form at
>www.justbrits.com/RBH.html for those who want to mail a check.
>
>If you would like to donate to this fund and you have a PayPal
>account, please send ANY amount to me at ajhsys@comcast.net on PayPal.
>  I will print out your messages and forward a big check to Robert in
>June.  I am covering the cost of using PayPal as part of my donation.
>To mail a check, you can go to Ed's web site (above) and use the form,
>or mail a check to me.  Donations are varying from $10 to $50, and so
>far, from three countries!
>
>Use PayPal if possible, or make your check out to Robert Houston.
>Mail to:
>Allen Hefner
>117 Riversedge Dr
>Norristown  PA  19403-3722
>
>Any more personal Robert stories?
>
>Thanx,
>
>Allen

Fisher or Elizabeth Jones
Comfort, TX

"A Gentleman does not motor about after dark."  Joseph Lucas, 1923