Re: Please Identify for me - Thanks for the Help!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Please Identify for me - Thanks for the Help!
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 11:31:11 -0500
Kirk,

The MGA has a dipstick stuck in the filler hole accessed through the
tunnel carpet.
The Bugeye, and others, have an access hole throught the top of the
tunnel near the heater wall and have a fitting on top of the gearbox's
left (North American, driver's side) side that must be removed. 11/16"
comes to mind (?).  As it is a bit off center it can be difficult to get
the plug started again, flexible or U-joint socket holder helps.  I also
use a funnel with a flexible outlet (funnel with a hose attached).  On
the Sprite/Midgets, as there is no dipstick, the manual states that the
oil (engine oil....I use Castrol 20W-50) must be level with the bottom
the filler hole....little finger works well.

If I'm reading you post correctly, the bolt through the tunnel you found
may be one of the rear tranny yoke mounts, which does not go into the
gearbox.  If you pour oil past the gear lever it will end up inside the
propshaft tunnel as the lever is remotely mounted and not directly over
the gears.

Gurus, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dave
59 :{)