Re: 1931 Model A "NO LBC"

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1931 Model A "NO LBC"
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 06:21:01 -0400
Hi.
I learned to drive on a 31 Model A. My dad had cut most of the body off a
coupe and made a wooden pickup bed for one that he used for a work truck at
the Topsfield fair. He did their electrical work for about 40 years and
carried all his stuff in it around the grounds. I used it to mow a grass
parking lot towing gang mowers behind it when I was about 13 or so. Logged a
lot of summer hours driving it around.
Then the motor got a bit tired so we found a motor in a friends backyard in
town that had been used for a saw mill, they chopped off the front of the
car leaving the engine, cowling, radiator and fuel tank which forms the
dash, the gearbox had an adaptor for a flat belt, the saw was long gone. We
took that motor home, removed the head and lapped the valves by hand,
swapped some parts from the other motor and we were back in business! That
was around 72, no telling how long that motor had sat, but I would guess
15-20 years.
I did a lot of tinkering on that truck, replaced timing gears, rebuilt the
carb, distributor, replaced the clutch, brakes generator etc.
My dad sold the truck and whole pile of stuff in the early nineties after he
retired.
It's probably what started me in this wacky obsession I have for old broken
down cars.