rust free chassis

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: rust free chassis
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 9:36:09 -0400
Yeah right!

I didn't get a chance to look at the electrical challenge last night because I
went for a drive to check out an "imported from Virginia" rust free chassis.  I
had told him that I was looking for something to bring straight to get blasted
and painted.  He said it would need a 'little' work.

"Well, only surface rust."

"Oh, yeah, the front fenders are perforated, but the rest is solid metal.
Those Virginia cars don't get the same punishment that ours did."

"Well, the floors were replaced . . . "

"The sills too and then they got the surface rust on them . . ."

"The rear fenders are solid metal, the bondo is just leveler for painting." (
the fenders were new panels that were put on badly, so they were sold metal,
under 3/4" of bondo. )

. . . and the list of exceptions grew.  I wasted my evening, I guess.  The
repairs that were done to it weren't to my standards.

One door didn't have the proper clearance to close properly and the other
wasn't level with the back of the car.  There was some pretty ugly
welding/fitting of replacement panels.

So, in a nutshell, this "rust free" car had all the parts replaced that my
Sprite needs put on.  And, I don't see how I could do worse ( especially if I
hire someone ). :)

Robert D.
( Why can't people just tell you straight out that something is a piece of
crap? )