Re: A couple of Midget Questions

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: A couple of Midget Questions
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:23:42 -0500
If you are only running on the street and don't have overheating problems,
you can still use anti-freeze and not need to worry about draining the
system each winter (including the heater core).

Straight water transfers heat much more efficiently than water/AF mix, but
needs some sort of anti-corrosive additive.  Water Wetter from Redline
lowers the surface tension of the water thus lessening the tendency to form
insulating air bubbles around hot spots in the head.  I understand dish soap
does the same thing, though I don't know if it works as well.  Water Wetter
contains an anti-corrosive -- I'm not sure that dish soap will do that.
Water Wetter is more effective with straight water than with a water/AF mix.
When I was racing, I used straight water and saw a 20 degree drop in coolant
temps with the addition of Water Wetter.

I used to get it from Racer Wholesale in Atlanta.  Google should give some
places to get it.

Larry Daniels
79 MGB LE
72 Midget
58 Bugeye

"You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it
doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it
shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape."