OSHIT Update j4NEegNn028527

To: Spridgeteers <spridgets@autox.team.net>, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: OSHIT Update j4NEegNn028527
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:37:40 -0400
The Organization Of Spridget Handymen in Transit got together
yesterday to swap out Larry Macy's engine.  Larry got a rebuilt (A
wedding present?  How thoughtful.) and it was about time to do the
deed.  Kevin and Rob Valentine, Phil Nase (?), Bill Gilroy and I
showed up at Larry's.  I understand that Frank Clarici had some
problems on the way back from Carlisle so he couldn't make it.  I'm
sure Frank will fill us in.

First we pulled the old engine and tranny, then Kevin and Larry timed
the new cam and finished the reassembly.  The rest of us pulled the
tranny off and got all the bolts and nuts mixed up to aid
reinstallation, which, I understand, is the reverse of removal.  Larry
uses cardboard drink holders to sort the hardware.  (My hero, chuck
christ, just throws all the hardware into a coffee can.  But he knows
what every bolt is used for.)

Things went along pretty well until we tried to reninstall the tranny.
 The pilot bearing was the wrong size, because Larry had done a
5-speed tranny swap a few years ago.  The bearing didn't want to come
out, so off came the clutch AND flywheel.  Kevin is very knowledgeable
about these things.  It is always fun and a great learning experience
getting together as a group.

We eventually got it back in and hooked up.  After turning the dizzy
180 degrees, it actually started!  It was blowing oil all over the
place, due to a damaged oil pressure pickup.  I left at about 10 p.m.,
with Kevin rebuilding the oil tube.

The brake MC was dry so we couldn't drive it.  (Another problem!!)
BTW, Larry, don't forget to tighten the front wheel knockoffs!

I missed these get togethers while I was tied up with the new job,
etc.  If you haven't gotten together with other listers, talk about
doing it!  Find some Spridgeteers in your area and work on a car!  The
job goes quickly because you will all have some strengths and a lot of
tools to share, and you can figure things out better than you can
alone.  Plus, you must have coffee, beer and food to make it all work.

Start your own OSHIT Chapter today!  Kevin suggested that we all pick
a color and paint our tools so we don't mix them up.  Good idea!

Allen Hefner
Norristown  PA