Re: brake project ahead

To: "Steven Michelsen" <stevenm@optonline.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake project ahead
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 07:01:22 -0700 reply-type=original
New rear wheel cylinders are about $45 ea
New rear shoes about $25
Stainless steel braided replacement brake hoses, $45 for all three.
O-rings inside the brake distribution block, less than a buck.
This guy must have a very high labor rate, total job should take less than 3
hours for a pro, probably a full weekend for a do-it yourself.

Do one rear brake at a time, so that you can look at the other one to
reassemble.

The clip that holds on the rear wheel cylinder is a Bi#ch, throw the one
that comes with the new cylinder away and use a circlip available at a
hardware store instead along with a thin washer as a shim to hold the
cylinder firmly to the backing plate.  This will make sense once you see it.

You can pull the brake warning switch and put a bolt in its place to stop
that leak, add brake fluid, bleed rear brakes, and drive home safely.  The
mechanic can have you sign a release that basically absolves him of any
liability if you crash & burn.

Use Castrol Dot 4 brake fluid.  Same properties as Dot 3 with higher boiling
point, and more friendly to rubber seals.

You don't need mitivacs, etc to bleed brakes.  Start at farthest, have
someone pump pedal, hold, open bleeder, release, repeat, checking fluid
level often.

David Riker
davriker@pacbell.net
http://home.pacbell.net/davriker/