Re: Door latches

To: The Mayers <gmeyer01@snet.net>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Door latches
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 23:12:12 -0700
The Mayers wrote:

>In order to shut the doors on my Bugeye, I have to press down the inside lever
>and push the door closed and then release the inside lever.  Should I be able
>to adjust the striker and latch mechanism such that I can just slam (sorry, I
>thought I was talking about an American car) I mean, push the door shut?  Gary
>'59 Bugeye

Gary,
      I had the same problem with mine until I replaced the striker
plates.  Open your doors and look at the strikers screwed to the B-Post
door jamb.  It should be a cone shape with a round point and a cut to
the door side.  On very worn strikers the door mechanism wears a spot on
the striker leading up to the cut.  It should be more pronounced on the
driver's side.  On my car, the driver's door would pop open on hard
right turns.  I replaced the stikers and it never happened again.  Moss
or Vicky Brit sell strikers that are most acceptable in contrast to the
rest of the crap they sell.  Just make sure they are somewhat centered
in the door mechanism hole.  There are shim plates that most cars have
when they were adjusted at the factory.  You will have to make your
own.  I don't think they are sold anywhere.

Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2
http://home.earthlink.net/~macleans/