Re: Thank You

To: Bohler <res0nii1@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Thank You
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:50:39 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Bohler wrote:

>On this Veteran's Day  =  A Big Thank You and God Bless You to all who have
>served and are now serving us and our country.

Nobody owes me a "thank you", or anything else.  In retrospect, I
realize that volunteering to serve my country for four years and one
month was a duty and a way of thanking my country for all that it had
given me.  Besides, it was ME who benefited the most from the service,
for it forced me to grow up, develop self-discipline, force me to accept
responsibility for my own actions, and look out for my shipmates and now
my fellow man.   Hellsfire, I never used my GI home loan, and I got in
an argument with my trendy lefty, anti-Vietnam War professor because I
refused to take my GI college money!  "You should take the government
for every penny you can," she told me. She was also preaching IN class
that those who faced the draft should desert America and run away to
Canada, and do all they could to resist the draft!   Kinda made clear
the difference between "us" and "them".

The ones I sincerely thank are those friends of mine and all the others
who gave their all, their lives for the rest of us.  The tragedy is that
as individuals, they are so quickly forgotten.  It is hard to realize
that there are still Gold Star Mothers from World War II whose sons and
daughters were never able to give them grandchildren.  It is for all of
them that I truly shed tears.

Buster Evans