lift summary

To: "Healey List (E-mail)" <healeys@autox.team.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, cleona44@hotmail.com, RAWDAWGS@aol.com
Subject: lift summary
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:10:29 -0500
A couple folks asked me to summarize the info I got on and off list.
These are all the points that came in 21 different e-mails.

Brands mentioned or recommended the most: Eagle (5), Bend-Pac and
Backyard Buddy

4 post pros - ease of assembly since it isn't anchored to the floor,
stability of the car with the lift in the air, can be used on standard
4" concrete floor, casters allow it to be moved around, lifting the car
with the weight on the wheels good for long term elevated storage or
project so it isn't hanging by the frame (Healeys tend to droop causing
door fit problems etc.), no concern with finding a good balance point
for lifting or getting in and out to check centering of the arms under
the car, easy access to opening the doors with posts at the corners, low
slung cars drive on with the longer ramps

4 post cons - ramps in the way when lifted and they're heavy to remove
(watch your head), runways are blocking the outer frame areas, need to
jack the car and place on stands if wheels need removed, construction
varies by brand and price,  slotted uprights tend to twist and turn more
than solid ones, cables or chains for lifting should be adequate size
and strength (chains stronger)

2 post pros - lifting the car to work on suspension etc much easier
access, they take up less space on the floor

2 post cons - must be anchored to a 3000 psi concrete 5-6 inch thick
floor (might have to adhere to building codes for this one), posts are
taller and might not fit in lower than 12 foot ceiling, in and out of
the car checking balance points and centering of the car between the
arms, arms are far apart and might not reach far enough under a Sprite
or other small car, arms might be too high to fit under low slung cars
causing you to drive up onto some planks to gain clearance, arms might
not grab a Healey frame with the exhaust slung under the whole side,
lifting a 40 year old car with boxed frame construction might reveal
weaknesses in the frame the hard way, lifting the cars in the center may
drop the chassis and cause door problems, opening doors is limited by
the posts and arms in the way

One guy mentioned the fact that when not in use any lift is in the way.

I'm thinking 4 post. I figure jacking the car on the lift is going to be
better than on the floor, because I can then raise it to what ever
height is comfortable for what I'm working on. Right now it's lay on the
floor for everything. I like the idea of driving onto ramps, it just
looks and sounds safer and easier. Heck, the Bugeye jack point is toward
the front half of the car, I'd be afraid of removing a heavy component
and have the thing start to tilt off the 2 post lift arms. I also don't
like the idea of finding 4 solid points on the under side of a 40 year
old sheet metal chassis to support the 3000 while I walk under it.

Thanks again to all that responded,
Dave