Re: Engine being pulled on Saturday for rebuild: tips and tricks anyone?

To: cyrille@hp.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine being pulled on Saturday for rebuild: tips and tricks anyone?*
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:16:53 EST
In a message dated 11/15/2005 11:12:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cyrille@hp.com writes:
> Is there anything else that I need to look at the same time, anything
> else that need/should be replaced.

Yes, yes--someone brought it up, but it is important while you have the
engine out to pin the thrust washers/bearings.  The 1500 has a nasty habit of
spinning the thrust washers out, and pinning them in eliminates that
possibility.
I took mine to the machine shop for pinning because I didn't have a
right-angle drill to get in that tight space.  But basically what you do is pin
the
thrust washers in place with brass pins.  Important to use brass, I think,
because if for some reason the thrust washer wore down to the pins the brass is
soft
enough to not cause the damage a hard steel pin would cause.

--David C.