Re: GM going down, WITH LEC content

To: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: GM going down, WITH LEC content
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:39:15 -0800
Cc: Paul Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Ron Soave wrote:

>... the Buy American Act.  The intent of the act is to increase U.S.
>manufacturing.

We had a neighbor who worked for an American company that made emissions
testing equipment that we shall call "Company X".  Tim used to laugh his
head off about assembling the piece of "crap" (his words).

At the same time, we had a friend in England who was the chief test
engineer for Lotus.  He was continually tearing his hair out and
complaining to me (as if I could do anything about it) that in order to
export cars to the United States, he was required by American law to use
the specific equipment that Tim made.  John said that the equipment was
"crap" (HIS words, too), unreliable, and worthless.  He could, he told
me, buy a more expensive piece of equipment from Japan that was better
by a factor of 10.

(Many people have company cars...you know, Chevrolets, Buicks, etc.
John had a company car, too.  Always a new Lotus Espirit V8.  He loved
to rub it in that "his" car got 32 mpg, with air conditioning on,
multi-disc CD, lower emissions than any American-made car, and all the
other whistles and bells!  But it could not be sent to the U.S. because
it had not been tested on the equipment built by Tim and Comapny X.
Now, what fun it was to drive with HIM on the narrow English rural roads.)

Buster Evans