Re: BE Bodywork Question, Rear Deck

To: "Willis, Ben" <BenWillis@anderson5.net>
Subject: Re: BE Bodywork Question, Rear Deck
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:44:05 -0500
Cc: "SPM@autoX" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Willis, Ben wrote:

>  I wanted to ask the group for opinions on how to go about
> getting this panel straight again. I don't want to just throw a gallon
> of filler at it!

Lots of hammer and dolly work unless you are good at metal heating and
shrinking. (I am not!!!)
And probably a gallon or 2 of filler but you will have to sand most of
it off.
Once you think you have it close, prime the deck, lightly spray the
primer with a blck dust coat (use sandable black primer in a spray bomb)
This is just a dust coat, like black speckles, do not *paint* it black.
Now use a sanding block with some 180 grit and hand sand the deck, the
black dust coat will show where you still have work to do. Ding in
anything high, fill in anything low. Once it's all primer with no black,
it's perfect.
I am going thru this on a POS fiberglass bugeye bonnet which was 1/2"
low in spots, talk about a ripple effect!
But after the first dusting of black, I see I have it real close.
Tomorrow I should have it damn near perfect but i will prime and dust again.
I did my Healey this way and I did get it perfect. I had to, it was
painted black. Every panel needed work, it took a month or so and a few
times doing it but this method will tell you where it needs more work.

Bang out the dents, ding in the highs, fill in what you must.
Sand, prime, dust, hand block.
Do it again.
--
Frank Clarici