Bleeding the clutch slave cylinder

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bleeding the clutch slave cylinder
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:51:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I found the following in some old emails regarding bleeding the
clutch slave cylinder. I need to bleed the slave on my son's Bugeye
after some gearbox work. I am working on the cylinder on the Datsun
210 5 speed and the bleed valve is hard to get a drain hose on. Any
tips appreciated.

"- Connect a hose from the slave bleeding nipple of a brake caliper
to the bleeding nipple of the clutch slave cylinder.

- Open both bleeding nipples.

- Press the brake pedal to pump brake fluid into the clutch slave
cylinder

- Continue to pump brake pedal until all air is pushed into the
master and escapes.

- Close the bleeding nipples

- Remove the hose

Because the fluid is going up through the clutch-fluid line into the
reservoir, it will be easier to get the air pockets/bubbles out.
There is no need to have to continually fill the master cylinder (in
the dual master as on the bugeye) because you are just recirculating
the fluid and removing the air as you go."

Any thoughts about this approach?

Lin Rose
1959 Bugeye
1960 BT7 in restoration