Re: Racing on wire wheels?

To: SDOliner@aol.com
Subject: Re: Racing on wire wheels?
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:21:23 -0600
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
David,

Whether they are safe or not depends partly on the quality of the wheels,
the thoroughness of your maintenance program, and on the stickiness of
the tires.

I would NOT put slicks on wire wheels at all, for example.  Not that any
would fit on those wheels.  You'd probably bust all the spokes on the
second turn at speed, if not the first.

I know a number of people that successfully race wire wheels on MG T
series and MGAs, mostly.  No one I know of races them on Midgets, but
that doesn't mean it can't be done.

The higher number of spokes is important.  I don't know about the Midget
stock wire wheels, but the MGA ones don't have enough to race.  A friend
broke most of her spokes on her MGA racecar when using the stock wires.
She went to (I think) 72 spoke wheels and hasn't had a problem since.

You've got to check for loose and broken spokes every time you race.  If
you're just doing one day in a driver's school with street tires, just
check 'em out, make sure they're well-adjusted and not broken, and go for
it.  Check them after the school to make sure they are still OK.

A 175 sounds wide for a 4" wheel.  I use 5" and 5.5" wheels with 175's.
I think they'll fit under the fenders without rubbing, but I'm not sure
you're getting the optimum profile out of them with them squeezed onto a
rim that narrow.  Probably 165 max would be better.

Have fun!

David Littlefield
1974 MG Midget racecar "The Gnat"