RE: Master Cylinder and Caliper Rebuild ?

To: "Bert Shirey" <bertshirey@zoominternet.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Master Cylinder and Caliper Rebuild ?
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:41:18 -0500
there are 2 difrent length push rods depending upon 3/4" or 7/8" bore.
mix up master cylinder pistons and push rods and you get some very odd
results from the pistons not being able to come to rest in the bores to
excessive freeplay wich can NOT be adjusted out!

chuck.
been there , broke that, fixed that, broke it again, and fixed it ...again.

Midget.
> My rebuilt units from White Post came back with non standard pistons.
>     Master Cylinder Pistons. With the new MC pistons they installed, the
push
> rods will go only about 1 3/8" into the bore before engaging the piston.
With
> standard pistons, the rods go in about 1 7/8" to touch the piston. Last
year,
> I helped a friend do his MGA using an Apple rebuilt MC that initially had
the
> same condition. We couldn`t get the required push rod effective length.
The
> thing wouldn`t bleed properly and almost immediately leaked.
>     White Post claims they do many of these and never had a complaint like
> this. Of course, they say their pistons are correct and they no longer
have my
> original pistons to compare.
>     I know with the MGA, which is similar to the Spridget set up, using
the
> 7/8" bore,  the rods couldn`t be adjusted enough for the apparently longer
> pistons.
>       If my rods can be withdrawn enough, I think it might work. There is
> little room in the Midget for adjustment, but I doubt if it`s going to be
> enough. I would rather resolve this before I start taking things apart.
Does