RE: How do you

To: "Frank Clarici" <spritenut@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: How do you
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 18:26:09 -0500
>From the sound of it, I'd say (I assume it's not installed on an engine)
take it to a machine shop, and let THEM worry about it.  May require EDM, to
remove.  And, no, I don't know ANYTHING about the EDM process, or what it
stands for.  However, when the special tap used to tap new bolt holes, in my
356's ring gear (long, expensive story, as are most 356 stories) broke off,
the only way it could be removed was by EDM.
Since my 356's ring gear is WAY harder (as tested by my cousin's machine
shop) than anything I've ever had to deal with, and the work was done by a
356 transmission guru, in Indy, I never got any closer to the machine shop
than just writing the stupid check......  Obviously, not all machine shops
would have this equipment available.  In 30 + years of working with heavy,
marine diesels, I've never encountered anything like it.
Good luck, Frank.  One thing you can take comfort in is that it's HIGHLY
unlikely that the equipment was made anywhere near China ;)
Bud Osbourne