Brake / Clutch Bleeding

To: Spridgets Digest <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake / Clutch Bleeding
From: James Gruber <thistle_3619@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:08:39 -0800 (PST)
This was posted on the Sprite Spot List and I've plagarized from there but this
sure seems like a simple way to do things. Even simpler than the $20 homemade
brake bleeding kit. Only problem is removing this without geting brake fluid
all over everything once you've gotten things bled.

  " tried for three days to successfully bleed a new system, with no luck
whatsoever. Finally, I tried a trick discussed elsewhere in the forums of using
a section of bicycle inner tube with a valve stem in it. I cut a section about
18" long, clamped one end over the clutch master cylinder, then filled it about
1/3 full of brake fluid. I rolled up the other end and sealed it with a sping
clamp and hung the whole thing up from the garage ceiling with a piece of
string. I pressurized the tube through the valve stem with an air pump until it
was about 4" fat. Then I cracked the bleed screw open and flushed the fluid
into a catch bottle until the "sausage" was drained, but the master cylinder
wasn't. Shut the screw, disconnect everything, crack the screw open, and push
the slave cylinder pushrod all the way home. Worked the first time! tried for
three days to successfully bleed a new system, with no luck whatsoever.
Finally, I tried a trick discussed elsewhere in the forums of u!
 sing a
 section of bicycle inner tube with a valve stem in it. I cut a section about
18" long, clamped one end over the clutch master cylinder, then filled it about
1/3 full of brake fluid. I rolled up the other end and sealed it with a sping
clamp and hung the whole thing up from the garage ceiling with a piece of
string. I pressurized the tube through the valve stem with an air pump until it
was about 4" fat. Then I cracked the bleed screw open and flushed the fluid
into a catch bottle until the "sausage" was drained, but the master cylinder
wasn't. Shut the screw, disconnect everything, crack the screw open, and push
the slave cylinder pushrod all the way home. Worked the first time!"

Jim Gruber
Bugsy '68 Sprite (future Bugeye in disguise)
Cincinnati, OH

 Yahoo! Mail