RE: Tire availability?

To: "'Robert E. Shlafer'" <pilotrob@webtv.net>,
Subject: RE: Tire availability?
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 07:29:45 -0500
You'd have LOVED it!  They're quite addictive.  Driving a properly set
up, well maintained 356 is an awesome experience.  Compared to other
cars of that era, the 356 is a super-star athlete.  The down side was/is
that, although they were generally pretty well engineered, and reliable,
they have a couple of "Achilles Heels": 1.) The crankshafts were of
adequate strength for the 70, and 88 (SAE) horsepower versions.
However, when they introduced the 102 (later 107) horsepower versions,
crankshaft failure was always looming somewhere in the future.  This was
a fatigue-related failure, as the 356's type 616 engine (which was
developed from the 36 hp VW engine), even with the counter-weighted,
nitrided crankshaft, tended to get a little "whippy" at high rpm, in way
of the center main bearing.  2.) The differential carrier bolts (Porsche
used a hardened, 6 bolt VW dif carrier), on all of the transaxles up
until the 12 bolt dif carrier was introduced, in '63(?), had a tendency
to loosen and shear, once beyond the 100K mark.  In today's money, a
proper engine rebuild will cast $8K to $10K, and the transaxle rebuild
goes for $3 to $8K, depending on how massive the internal damage was,
and who does the rebuild.  Also, there are more "Porsche repair shops"
that will totally screw-up a 356 engine or trans rebuild, than shops
who'll get it right.
For me, 356 ownership is an illogical, irrational exercise, at best,
even though I'm qualified and capable of doing all maintenance and
repair myself, and have the tools, and experience (I learned from a
couple of Porsche dealer master mechanics, back in the day) to get it
done.  I have to believe that, for me, 356 ownership is like heroin
addiction is to a junkie.  I know I don't need it, I know I can live
without it, but I can't bring myself to quit.  Oh, well.  At least it's
a legal, and socially acceptable addiction:)
Bud Osbourne