Almost Roadworthy!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Almost Roadworthy!
From: "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:26:09 -0700
It's been about 7 months since the rollover, and my Midget is almost
roadworthy. The front end is down on its tires for the first time since
last fall, the hydraulics are bled, replaced the steering rack, changed
the coolant (good thing too - there was some rusty crud in the bottom of
it), changed the oil, and it fired up nicely today. My "new" dual gauge
is working properly, too!

So naturally I had to screw something up! :)  I started the rollbar
install today. My mistake was to put the rollbar in the cockpit, mark
the holes, and drill. Turns out that the resulting exit holes are close
enough to other sheetmetal to make putting nuts on impossible. It also
turns out that the reinforcement plates included in the kit don't fit in
the little triangular space in the wheelwells up near the shocks, where
they're supposed to go.  So, I need to trim the reinforcement plates to
fit, and try to drill upwards. I'm a little nervous about this, as I'm
not sure where the exit holes may end up, and I may have a problem
fitting the rollbar in the cockpit.

Any advice for drilling straight? :)

-=Chris