Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Repro Radiator Bolts

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Repro Radiator Bolts
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:34:45 -0500
All,

Thanks for the input on the radiator fasteners. Jim Lodder is correct.
Yesterday after work I hauled the radiator down to ACE hardware and
sorted through their nuts and bolts. It took a while, but I finally
tried the metric stuff.  The 6M bolts fit perfectly and I can adjust
the length of the bolts accordingly. I don't recall the thread pitch
but will get it later and post to the group.

The radiator had a sticker on it (I've already removed it) which said
something about UK. Perhaps it was made in Portugal. I don't know. I
bought it through a Spridget parts supplier who shall remain nameless
and it was drop shipped from MM. I still have the box it came in down
in the garage so I will sift through all the packing peanuts and see
if there is a packet of bolts there.

FWIW, My philosophy on buying parts for old cars and bikes is to
spread the wealth. I don't bad mouth anyone in the parts business
unless they are rude, sell me junk or cheat me. I learned my lesson
with a couple of antique motorcycles. In one case the parts suppliers
for a particular brand dwindled down to only one supplier because
everyone who was buying parts for this bike was trying to go cheap off
Ebay or some other source. Finally, that guy had to give it up because
there weren't enough orders to keep him in business. Now, parts for
that bike are almost impossible to find and when you do find them they
go for incredible amounts of money.

My point is - support the suppliers we have for these little cars
because if you don't, some day you won't have any of them. THEN what
will you do??  I suppose this philosophy is analgous to "buy local"
which is another thing I do if at all possible. I want those vendors
to be there when I need them!

Cheers!!
Jim - finishing up Midget in Dodge City