Re: Springs?

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Springs?
From: "Rick Fisk" <refisk@chartermi.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 20:51:49 -0400
Billy,

Disassembling and reassembling 1/4 elliptic springs is easy.  The fun part
is getting the dang things off of the car!  The spring mounting box is
usually full of 40+ years worth of crud and everything will be rusted solid.

The rear bolt that fastens the spring to the axle is easy.  At the front end
of the spring the big u-bolt isn't too hard to get off.  But the two bolts
forward of the u-bolt that go through the spring mount plate, the spring,
and then into the upper plate can be real buggers to remove.  I've had to
cut the heads off of the bolts and then drill out enough of the bolt to get
them to clear the spring mount plate before the springs could be removed.

If your car has been in SoCal all it's life the job may not be too tough.
The two cars that I've done here in Michigan (the rust belt) were a major
PITA.

Rick