RE: Distributor and Carburetor problems...

To: "de Brebisson, Cyrille (Calculator Division)" <cyrille@hp.com>,
Subject: RE: Distributor and Carburetor problems...
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:22:13 -0700
        Cyrille:

        Vacuum advance is applied only during cruise (moderate throttle)
and serves to improve fuel economy (only). A typical amount of advance
would be 12-14 degrees IN ADDITION TO whatever mechanical advance is
already built in to the distributor.
        During cruise, the manifold vacuum is very high, and the
cylinders are only partially filled, effectively lowering the
compression ratio. The reduced air/fuel density in the cylinder burns
more slowly, and lost efficiency is the penalty. By advancing the timing
over and above the mechanical advance, some of that lost efficiency can
be regained, and mileage will improve. Vacuum advance cannot be applied
during heavy acceleration because the engine will ping.
        There is no performance advantage to vacuum advance, it is
strictly an economy device.

        Vance