Steering rack help.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering rack help.
From: "Hal Faulkner" <hal@katemuir.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:20:30 -0700
Spridgeteers,

I have most of the parts ready for the disk brake conversion to FROG AYE.
The hubs are at the machine shop having bearings pressed in and wheel studs
replaced, he is also magnafluxing the spindles, probabally overkill but he
doesn't charge much and they are 40 years old.  My rebuilt shocks are here,
Noltec bushings have been in the box since last March.  Since I'm taking
this thing apart I thought I would replace track rod ends as well.  Got a
pair of new inners on eBay but I have some questions:  they are VERRY
stiff, should I remove the old grease they are packed with and re grease
them?  Is there an adjustment that is too tight?  Will they just loosen up
in the first 23.6 miles?  The factory manual mentions a locking tab that
bends over a nut in three places.  Where is this nut?  The inner end of the
track rod looks like a cylender with three .25" grooves milled out at 120
degrees to each other. I'd rather not get the darned thing apart and
discover that I need to order parts before I can put it back together.
Especially since we are enjoying the GREATEST SPRIDGET WEATHER of the year
so far.  Been in the upper 60s/lower 70s and we are beginning to dry out.

Hal