My "annus horribilis"

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: My "annus horribilis"
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:54:55 -0700
Back in the early 1990's, the Royal Family was rocked by a series of
scandals. In a speech, the Queen referred to it as being her "annus
horribilis", or horrible year. I am beginning to wonder if this is my
"annus horribilis".

It all began two months ago with my near-death experience and gall
bladder surgery. Then came what I thought was a crown that had fallen
off, but turned out to be a broken tooth that had to be taken out in 15
small pieces. This was quickly followed by the news that the school
district where my wife had taught and been injured had gone bankrupt and
would not be paying her horrendous medical bills. At about the same
time, two of our children announced that they would soon be escaping
Southern California, heading for Colorado with four of our six
grandchildren. Next, I was on my way to the doctors office when I had
to come to a full and complete stop for a bus that had stopped to pick
up passengers. I had been stopped for perhaps 20 seconds when WHAM, I
was hit in the rear by an idiot driver. My body may have been restrained
by the seat belt, but my head went snapping like a cork on a stormy sea,
and the next thing I knew I was in a cervical collar and on a backboard
en route to the Emergency Room (fortunately to be released a few hours
later). This past weekend was spent taking our granddaughter into the
Emergency Room twice, where she was finally admitted to the Childrens
Hospital with a virulent bacterial infection that lab work proved to be
rotavirus.

I am reminded of the guy who in one day cut himself shaving, totaled his
car on the way to work, got fired, and got home to find his home
destroyed by fire. After checking in to a room on the 29th floor of the
hotel, he opened the window, ready to jump. Looking to the heavens, he
asked, Why me? A voice boomed out, Because you piss me off. As he
jumped to his death, the guy on the 30th floor just laughed as he
slammed the window!

But then, I think of the incredible response to the BusterCluster, and I
realize this is also an incredibly wonderful year!

Still, I have been strongly urged to take out travel medical insurance
for my trip to England next month!

Buster Evans