RE: Venus and Mars (little LBC)

To: "'David Lieb'" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>,
Subject: RE: Venus and Mars (little LBC)
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:03:26 -0500
Hopper... what are you, 40?

Lemme tell ya pal, the difference between 40 and 50 is amazing (and it ain't
good).

If it was a summer trip (and I was 40), and I was going for 3 weeks,  I'd
take a bike. But, since its a January departure, I'd definitely take the
Bugeye (and yes, you can borrow a hard top). If your door trim fuzzy stuff
is ok, your side curtains are close to fitting right, your heater blower
works, and you have the right thermostat in it, the Bugeye can be a very
decent cold weather cruiser. Got a 3.9 in it? I've been talking about
finding some modern day marine blower to insert into the heater fan case for
better defrost capabilities.

I did a run to Texas healey RoundUp years ago in the Bishop... over a long
weekend. 17 hours down and 17 hours back. Just that drive was an ass kicker.
You definitely need some small pillows or lumbar support deals.

I drove to San Diego and back in 6 days 3 years ago in the diesel dually,
and averaged 80 mph, and drove for 12 hours a day. In the Bugeye, even with
a 1275, decent heat, and a hardtop, better figure the trip takes twice as
long... and your ass will be grass.

I went for a ride the other day on the Harley, and I can tell you the desire
for comfort at 50 begins to outweigh the need to be a tough guy and eating
bugs. There's definitely a windshield in my near future.