Re: Boosted master cylinder?

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>, <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Boosted master cylinder?
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:49:17 +0100
This device may be one fitted to electric milk floats in the 1950's who
wanted servo type braking assistance but had no manifold vacuum to use.  IF
it is this device they were also used as aftermarket add-ons for the few
vehicles that upgraded to those 'new fangled disc brakes'.  I have only seen
two, one was fitted in an early Land Rover and whilst the pedal pressure was
reduced, the distance travelled increased as it has to push more fluid from
the master cylinder to achieve the additional pressure.  With poorly
adjusted brakes (and let's be honest here - from reading posts there are a
lot of those around!) pedal travel became a problem and the device dies off
as more vehicles had servos fitted as standard.  I did (and possibly still
do) have one somewhere in the depths of the miscellaneous 'rubbish' pile
that came my way 20 odd years ago but never felt the need to use it.  I
preferred to do my brakes properly. <smile!>
How they can claim it speeds up braking effect I'm not too sure but claims
then were worse than claims now.  :-)
I'm sure that has been mention of them before on the Forum - a few years
ago.....
Guy R Day
A-H Sprite Mk IV