Re: '74 Midget questions

To: Dale Gleason <inaverysmallroom@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: '74 Midget questions
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 17:56:35 -0400
Dale Gleason wrote:

> 1. Under my seats are these white plastic electrically wired discs (not
> working) that appear to be pressure sensitive triggered ---  WHAT are
> these? Have yet to see them in any manual...

Seat belt buzzer switch

> 2. Any suggestions as to how to steady a rattling/knocking exhaust pipe
> ? Knocks hard when hot behind the pedals and rattles durectly under the
> drivers seat.

Is there a bracket from the bellhousing to the exhaust pipe?
There should be. That and speedbumps bend the pipe up into the floor.

> 3. When ridden hot I can open the the vents in the floor boards (cook my
> ankles) stick my fingers in said vents and remove rusty black sludge.
> The hotter the wetter. This is creeping black death, isn't it?

Leaky heater core maybe? if it's wet, does it smell like coolant?
If it eats away at your fingers, it could be a leaky battery and a
rusted out battery tray. Or just a rust hole and mung just because it
can get in there.

> 4.  Between the carbs and the crankcase, every so often I'l get a lound
> TANGING noise. Thought for the longest that it was a fan blade just
> grazing something every so often when vibrating wildly. No, such luck.
> AND it seems to be coming from the base of the carb bells / head gasket
> area.

Loose carb heat shield, craked heat shield (most do crack) or no oil in
the dashpots.

> 5. Just how much emissions gear (if no emssions testing is required) can
> I get by taking off. From the loos of things I got a few things from
> other models hooked up unnecessarily and my emissions cant get much worse.

None of it ;) Plug it all up and reset the timing.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ