Re: gasket cement on front plate?

To: "bjshov8" <bjshov8@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: gasket cement on front plate?
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 20:36:49 -0700
Put the sealant on the cover, rather than the block.  It's the rougher side
and it works well to fill in the irregularities.  Also lots easier to clean
later.

A very important bit is to center the lip seal with the pulley before
tightening up any bolts, small or large ones on this cover.  To do this,
start a few bolts in the cover, but don't tighten any.  Put the pulley on
all the way or at least far enough to get into the seal completely.  That
centers the seal around the pulley.  Now tighten up a few of the bolts, pull
off the pulley and start all of them and tighten properly.  Too tight warps
the cover edge and makes for leaks!!

Centering the seal this way makes for very long seal life.  If your seal
area on the pulley is grooved or rough, put on a new speedi-sleeve.

Later, Paul A