Dwell angle

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dwell angle
From: "Phil Nase" <nase@ptd.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:51:07 -0400
I'm running a 1275 and I gapped my new points at .016 per the book.  My
measured dwell angle is 50.  Is this Ok or should I try a smaller gap to
nail the 60 dwell angle per the specs.  Is there any way other than trial
and error to set how much dwell angle is changed by a .001 change in point
gap?

My engine also has a 286 cam so I can't limit idle to <1000 rpm.  If I just
set total timing and let the idle be where it ends up is this ok?  What
advance at what rpm should I set total?

I know some people don't bother with using a timing light and set it by ear.
How is this done?  I never had knocking but I do have a run-on problem which
may be caused by an over advanced state.  It could also be due to the MSD
that's installed.  Not only does the engine run on but my electric fan
continues to run for a few seconds after ignition is shut down.

Thanks everyone.

Phil Nase
http://home.comcast.net/~philnasecpa