Too much, for a change!!

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Too much, for a change!!
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 19:04:12 -0700
Ok all, I've got a goody puzzler here.  First time experience with this.

Just completly rebuilt a 1275 and want to run it to break in the cam before
giving it to the customer, get it on the engine stand, have already filled the
filter and the oil galleys by an external oil pump I use to prime new engines.

Now crank it to get a pressure reading on the oil gauge.  Get it, stop
cranking

Put the plugs in it and hook them up.  Starts and runs for a few seconds, so I
reach over to manually set the choke again.  DGV carb.  Catch a view of a huge
puddle of oil on the cement.  Look closely and only see some oil at the oil
pan edge to block.  Mmmmm, maybe the oil filter isn't tight enough.  Give it a
quarter turn and I see the gasket bulging out the top side of the filter.

Put on a new filter, being aware that it takes likely several hundred psi or
more to do that.  Look at the oil pressure gauge and it's broken now.  Put on
another one.  Plugs out of head to crank pressure and  that gauge pins the top
and stays there.

Go buy a real gauge that goes to 200 psi.  Install and crank and it goes on up
to 180 so I stop.

Things I checked:

New spring and plunger
Oil dump hole to crankcase free and clear
Try old plunger and spring--pressure too high
Try cranking with no plunger and spring-  No pressure reading.
Scratch head and leave it alone overnight--GOOD PLAN, I've discovered!

Next day try all the combinations of springs and plungers I have. No change
Back out cap plug until it's barely caught on threads.  No change
Cut progressively small amount off a used spring.  No change until suddenly no
pressure.

OK, so what's the deal?  Anyone ever have a problem with too high oil pressure
at start up?  If yes, what did you do to correct it?

Later, Paul A