Re: Speedometer Dissasembly

To: "Bud Pazur" <bpazur@excel.net>,
Subject: Re: Speedometer Dissasembly
From: "Timothy H. Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 16:52:20 -0400
I took my instruments apart to clean a film on the inside of the lens. I
discovered that the gaskets had petrified so the chrome bezel didn't want
to turn so the glass could be released. (Don't turn the gauge over and pry
on the tabs on the chrome bezels to release the bezel from the instrument
case! All that is needed is a twist on the bezel of a few degrees to free
the bezel) I discovered that some water applied with a Qtip around all the
surfaces that touch to bezel helped to soften the goober so the bezel would
move. A little water, time, more water, time, - patience and with a little
luck it will come apart.

The rubber gasket will likely be done for from age and exposure to oxygen.
You can buy new (the one between the lens and the case and the one between
the instrument and dashboard. One is circular in cross section, the other
is square in X section)

There is a special tool for pulling the needle that you won't find
anywhere. An instrument shop will have this special purpose tool. Could
just quickly fabricate one of these, however: http://www.geocities.com/thcmtu/

Good luck

Tim Collins
Midland, MI