Loose Rear Bearings

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Loose Rear Bearings
From: "Bud Pazur" <bpazur@excel.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 16:48:15 -0500
"the bearing on the left side slips in and
out of the hub, held together by the big nut with the lock washer on it. Is
this a abad thing? Am I looking at replacing rear hub[s] and bearings?

. Anybody seen this before? any suggestions for remedying the situation?"

Hal -

I had this problem. The hubs IDs were worn, but I didn't want to buy new
hubs. I solved the problem with shims made from a beer can (actually very
good shim stock). I coated the shims with Loctite, placed them in the hubs,
and carefully pressed in the bearings. Working great.

Bud Pazur

'60 Bugeye - Street Car - 1275cc - 'Whitey'
Race Bugeye - 948cc - 'Redd'
Race Spridget - 1275cc - 'SilverStreak'

"The Buddha ... resides as comfortably in the gears of a ...transmission as
he does in the petals of a flower."
     - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance