Re: Old Gas

To: <nory@buffnet.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Old Gas
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:39:39 -0500
If work hasn't proceeded yet:
It's try for a fuel sample first. First thing to notice, just by removing the
cap: Does it SMELL like gas? Or turpentine? Then if you can get something in
the tank to get a small sample, even just a bit of fuel on a stick, see if it
will "light off". Observing every precaution of course, usually I'd use
something non-combustible itself, maybe straighten out a wire clothes hangar
and dip it down into the tank. If it lights off, good sign you might be able
to use it as-is. If the tank is low fuel, maybe consider topping it off with
fresh stuff and just running it through. If it won't light off, drain it out
as best you can (my car has a drain plug too, may need to drop the tank to
drain it out, not sure). On what to do with the old stuff, not sure but I
think you have a bunch of links posted elsewhere. You could mix it bit by bit
with good fuel, should burn off that way. Another thought, if it's not alot of
fuel, is to start introducing it into the septic system in your area (down a
utility sink or the toidey). If it won't light off, it's rather doubtful it
would present any problem to the septic sewer system. If you end up with a
muffled boom and a 30 foot long gully down the center of the street in front
of your house, you didn't hear this from me!!!
Another thought is I know here in Wisconsin there are state operated fuel
inspection stations (in charge of making sure pumps are dispensing the correct
amounts and investigating fuel quality complaints). If you can locate
something like this in your area they probably would give you a quick answer
on if the stuff should be able to power an engine. In the dealership I worked
at they utilized this service quite a bit. Would probably want to bring them
around a pint of the fuel.
Dan