Re: Distributor Choice Part 2 - Read the rules?

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>,
Subject: Re: Distributor Choice Part 2 - Read the rules?
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:05:57 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
To: "Ron Soave (Ron Soave)" <rsoave@invensysibs.com>; "'Ron Soave'"
<soavero@yahoo.com>; <'jdc6@Lehigh.EDU'>
Cc: "'Judy Cull'" <vscda@iserv.net>; <spridgets@autox.team.net>;
<team-thicko@autox.team.net>; <vintage-race@autox.team.net>; "'Bob Wismer'"
<rdwismer@mchsi.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 6:29 PM
Subject: Distributor Choice Part 2

> You'd be amazed at how many racers have never read the rules.

When I was Competition Secretary and Scrutineer of a single marque Land
Rover Club there were guys who rolled up and tried to enter events in Jeeps
and Toyota Hiluxes.    Read the rules!!!!  (And the event insurance wouldn't
cover them.)

It has been my observation that most owners/drivers do things to (a) equal
the cheats used by, or gain advantage over, other competitors, (b) reduce
costs and (c) will try to take advantage over any Official who doesn't know
the rules.  However, when it come to be the other way round there is the
biggest load of whinging and whining that, 'We've always done it like this'.
However, if the rule is open to interpretation then you are allowed to
interpret it and there can be many interpretations that are correct.  If a
rule is there and never been applied then you must ask, 'Does it need to be
there?'

It has also been my experience it is far more costly and requires far more
ingenuity to run a 'standard' motor than one in a 'free or semi-restricted '
class.'   Simply because it takes more design, manufacture (or modify) and
build time to make 'standard' into modified without breaking the rules -
or - without anyone being able to spot it!

Guy R Day