Re: Judson help??

To: Lester Ewing <lewing@sport.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Judson help??
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:10:17 GMT
The accelerator pump setting is within the
fuel bowl. There are two positions (short
"shot", longer "shot"). All this will
become self-evident to you when you take off the cover to the bowl and look
within.

Unfortunately, this is most easily done with the carb (blower) removed from the
engine compartment though you can "get in there" (with some difficulty) with
small fingers and a mirror with the blower
mounted on the motor. It's a PITA but so
it goes with the Holley as it sits.

Now....if the accelerator pump setting is
already set to the "long" (travel) shot, then
the problem may be you are using the stock accelerator cable which may be a bit
"sticky" for the extremely sensitive butterfly (you will recall you mentioned
this earlier) even when the cable is new.

When this is the case, the set-up "resists"
the initial movement of the accelerator pedal than "suddenly" (rather than
smoothly) opens the Holley's super-sensitive butterfly. You recall you talked
about this extreme sensitivity in a prior
post.

Thus you get a "shot" of
air, rather than a smooth increase in
airflow. Of course, under these circumstances, even the "long" shot setting
of the accelerator pump has a difficult time
keeping up with the "sudden" (rather than
more gradual) influx of air....and the mixture has a tendency to go "dead lean"
accordingly.

Tell you what.....
give me your address and I will send you
my Summit competition throttle cable for
the cost of shipping. I have no
use for it anyway and it can only be helpful
to you. It's already "sized" for the Spridget
set-up and it's slippery operation can be
adjusted for by the tension or "strength" of the throttle return spring you use.

As for jets, the Sprite Judson comes pre-jetted for the 948 Sprite with a "55"
(as I recall) but jetting isn't your problem at this
point anyway.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)