Re: Rear end torque info needed

To: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Rear end torque info needed
From: derf <derf247@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 09:45:48 -0500
D'oh after all that nonsense, I neglected to answer the question.  So here goes:

The Haynes manual doesn't list specs for torquing those items.

I'm no professional mechanic so any of you who know better, correct me on this:

On the rear hub nut just take all the in and out "play" out of the
thing.  Tighten the nut until you can't feel any more slack and then
go until the lock tab lines up with the next flat.  The bearing should
turn freely and you shouldn't be able to feel any play when
pulling/pushing on the hub.

For other values not listed in the manual, in general, you can use a
chart like this one:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts/SAE_bolts.html