1500 timing chain renewal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1500 timing chain renewal
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 07:13:04 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Folks,

Big oil leak coming out of the timing chain oil seal.  No problem, methinks,
I'll take the opportunity to at least replace the chain tensioner while I'm at
it.

However, looking through the Haynes manual, page 61,  it appears that, in order
to remove the crankshaft pulley, you first need to remove the carb, catalytic
converter, pre-heater duct, unbolt the engine mounts and jack the engine up.
Kinda makes me lose interest.  Too much like hard work.

Is it necessary to remove the ZS and the cat converter?  Is the pre-heater duct
the intake manifold?

Do folks use a trolley jack to lift up the engine (with a piece of wood on the
oil pan)  My experience with trolley jacks is that they sometimes decide to
lower themselves.  Is there a way to get some jack stands in there to support
the engine?

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated, as usual.

Regards,  Adrian 1500 Midget (half a quart a day)